Marilyn has ongoing experience working with children, having worked with paediatricians from the private gastroenterology department of the Royal Brisbane Children's Hospital prior to moving to Adelaide, past teaching and counselling at primary and junior primary level, providing the skills to work with children in a relaxed, comfortable and professional manner.
- Hypnotherapy is an option for children if they are happy to make changes and be part of sessions. Shorter, imaginative involvement in sessions is a key to engaging children.
- Hypnosis and accompanying counselling is a cooperative, working together session and will be organised in a way that is comfortable for the child. The hypnosis part of the session is recorded so that they may listen to it like a meditation after they leave the session.
Marilyn has provided children with assistance in areas such as these
- being dry at night, creating the links and program between bladder and mind.
- calming and redirecting internal focus in a positive manner.
- developing positive self-image
- habit control such as biting nails
- IBS and related stomach or gut problems
- tuning back into blocked signals, such as readiness to use bowel
- getting back to being able to sleep
- overcoming blocks about subjects or study
- recovery from discomfort or pain
- recovery from bullying
- worry about returning to school after an absence
- worry about exams or tests
- and more!!
NLP tools as well as guided storytelling or light hypnosis for children allows them to manage their own feelings and goals in a simple and enjoyable way.
Dealing with confidence enhances study and memory function with exams. Allows children to feel in control of their learning and memory.
HYPNOTHERAPY FOR THE GUT AND CHRONIC DISCOMFORT
On referral from paediatric specialist or suggestion by gp. Hypnosis can assist with:
- work with calming the gut system and looking at anxiety/patterns of thinking or behaviour that could be triggering an anxious state in the gut.
- stomach may take a while to recover from infections or inflammation, and at times the receptors do not turn off as expected, especially with children. If appropriate and safe to do so, the receptors turn off with calming work
- worry and expectation of upset stomach can keep problem recurring as in IBS.
- triggers that arouse memories of past discomfort may cause child to re-experience gut discomfort.
- Any discomfort that the child is experiencing past the time they are expected is real, and can be worked with through hypnotherapy with gut related therapy and NLP type exercises. These exercises not only calm the gut system, but also give the child tools they can work with to shift from an upset or anxious state of being to a calm state of being, as is appropriate.
- calming breathing patterns
- ways to interrupt and refocus anxious thinking
- tuning back into body's signals and signs of recovery
- shifting focus and experience of level of chronic discomfort.
- creating calming imaginative stories or tools and using them in recovery
- using language that creates change, and recording hypnosis section of sessions to use for reinforcement.
- Here are the names of some of the tools we might use. You may have heard of them.
- the 5 second rule
- the 5 calms
- feeling reversal
- creating a dial to dial discomfort down.
- using the submodalities of a feeling to create a solution
- shifting and draining out an emotional feeling.
- and many more, all designed to work with how our brain processes and learns.....giving the child the power to make a difference for themselves.